Virginia Wedding Photographer : Stephen Gosling Photography
The first thing I want to say is that I am under no illusion that people read my blog, let alone other photographers. I in no way think that the way I do things is the correct way and I am not writing these posts to tell people how to shoot or how to run their businesses. I am however going to be writing about my experiences; my failures, my successes, etc. If these posts help anyone, great! If not; no big deal.
The first two ‘For Photographers’ blog posts for 2013 were about Facebook & Twitter. This third post of the year rounds out my social media trio of posts with a little read for you about Instagram. I know that Instagram has come under a little bit of criticism lately for changing and then changing back their terms of service. I’m not going to get into that here though as I honestly don’t see it impacting my business in any way. But what I will talk about is how I use Instagram and what I think my business gets out of the process.
How I use Instagram;
- I take pictures of whats going on behind the scenes when I am shooting a wedding or whatever else I may be photographing.
- I take pictures of some behind the scenes stuff from the office. Things like; what I’m editing, or what I am getting ready to mail out or even new equipment I may have bought.
- I take pictures of interesting places and things that I’m doing.
- Once a month (at the beginning of each month) I post an Instagram blog post which shows a re-cap of my pictures for the month in one easy to see blog post. This gives me a little extra content for my blog which is always a good thing. And starting in 2013 I started offering a prize/gift on this monthly blog post to try and get a little more traffic and some more blog comments. Sometimes people need an incentive is all.
I take these pictures with the Instagram application on my iphone and I post them to my account. I also post them to my Twitter feed which then forwards them and posts them to my Facebook page. This way all my social media outlets are being updated at the same time, so no matter which way you follow me on any or all social media forums, you’ll be able to see what I am up too.
What Instagram does for my business;
- It allows people to see some behind the scenes stuff of what is going on, not only when I shoot, but also what I’m work on when I am not shooting. This way people realize how busy I am and what really goes in to being a photographer.
- It lets clients get to know me a little better. This way, if we are meeting for the first time, or even for second or third time, and they have been following me on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram, they will already know some little things about me. And it’s always good to be going into meetings or catch-ups with just a little bit of information. Going into situations cold can sometimes be overwhelming or awkward, so just having a little info is always a good thing!
So if you don’t follow me on Instagram; you should! Download the application for your smart phone and search for goslingphoto!
And here’s a little peek at the web front for my Instagram account.
For Photographers Archive
2012 – Skype, Equipment Update, Camera Straps, Just Some Books, Giving Back, GPS, Google Voice, You Need a CPA, Blog or Website… Or Both?, My Editing Workflow, How I Roll, The worst 10 minutes of my life.