Virginia Wedding Photographer : Stephen Gosling Photography
2013 was another great year for Stephen Gosling Photography both personally and professionally (is it odd to talk about myself as a business-entity and in the third-person?). And I want to thank all my clients, colleagues & friends for making 2013 so wonderful!
On a personal note, the highlights;
1. We moved!!! After spending 6 years in a tiny (<525 square-foot) one bedroom apartment; where my office/workspace was in the living room and took up a lot of what should have been ‘family’ space… We bought our first home!!! We moved from Clarendon (Arlington) to Old Town Alexandria and I now have a dedicated office space where all my equipment can live without encroaching into the living area!
2. We added a family member. Sherlock came to join us in February and it has been quite an adventure adding him to our family.
3. Corrine and I celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary… Time flies!
4. My parents came from across the pond to visit the new home and meet Sherlock in person. He gets very excited when he meets new people, so having people stay with us was very interesting!
Above – Sherlock
Above – The day we started to move into our condo… And my awesome shiny new kitchen!
And for the business side of 2013;
1. I began teaching wedding photography at CDIA. Teaching is always something that has intrigued me and when the opportunity came along from CDIA in Georgetown I just had to jump at it. And I have to say it is truly a lot of fun and I just hope that the students I am teaching are actually learning something from me!
2. Since moving to the DC area in 2007 and starting my business… As of this year; I have now photographed over 100 weddings!
3. I got to work at some wonderful venues that I have been wanting to work at for a long time! I finally got to shoot weddings at the Torpedo Factory in Old Town Alexandria, the Chesapeake Bay Beach Club in Stephensville, MD and the George Washington Masonic Memorial Temple, also in Old Town Alexandria.
4. After a last minute date-change I got to work with Flashes of Hope again and photographed some some wonderful kids in the Oncology Dept. of Children’s National Medical Center.
Goals for 2014
1. Re-Brand! The planned re-brand of 2013 never happened. Due to a mix of being busy, moving, getting the puppy, and not properly planning time out for the re-brand, it just never materialized.
2. The Book! The planned book from 2013 also didn’t happen. When the teaching opportunity came along the book kind of got sidelined because I had to write the lesson plans and create a curriculum. The good take-away from this is that the lesson plans deal with a lot of the stuff that the book was going to deal with. So when it comes time to get the book writing back into the mix I will already have most of written!
3. Networking. I have to admit that I am very bad at networking. I hardly ever go the happy hours that other photographers or wedding vendors organize. And I can always find an excuse to not attend the end of year parties and open houses and other things that go on in our industry. My main goal for 2014 is to be much better about this and make myself go to these things. Because when I do, I always meet wonderful new vendors and that needs to continue!
4. Add new sample albums from awesome 2013 weddings! I have 2 or 3 spectacular weddings from last year that need to be showcased in albums for prospective clients to see! New RedTree Albums coming soon!
I think that’s about it. 2013 was a wonderful year, and here’s to an even better 2014 for me and more importantly; for YOU!
And to round out this post; a cameo from Bree of Capitol Romance dancing like she is a malfunctioning robot…